Sunday, August 30, 2020

Sir John A MacDonald

Apparently a bunch of young losers decided to vandalize a statue of Canada's first Prime Minister...  Sir John A. MacDonald.  The most publicized incident was in Montreal, but I understand that several other plaques and statues were targeted in other cities as well.  The police stood by and watched while these vandals unbolted the statue in Montreal, pulled it down, broke the head off and sprayed it with graffiti.  Their argument is that his government was racist towards natives, created the Indian Act and started Residential Schools. Somehow this is justified and warrants breaking the rule of law.
I've been a conservative supporter all my life.  It just seems the other parties can't deal with the reality of the living within their means.  They recognize the fact that business, while making a profit, also employs huge numbers of people and contributes significantly, both directly and indirectly, to the tax base and the livelihood of all people, This is a fundamental belief of conservatives... and and of mine.  God knows I've paid millions of dollars in various forms of tax through the forty years that I was involved in the operation of my small business.
Recently I've been disappointed with Alberta's premier, Jason Kenney... even though I voted for him.  I have concerns about his policies related to the environment and his decision to approve open pit coal mines in the mountains... only to sell the resource to the Chinese.  His choice of some of his cabinet ministers, particularly Jason Nixon, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
But, in light of these recent events I am proud of what he said and maybe it will make me re-evaluate my opinion. 
He said, "the vandalism of our heroes and history must stop"
And went on to say....
"both MacDonald and the country he created were flawed but still great"
"many of the extreme left responsible for this kind of violence claim that Canada is an illegitimate state, all the while enjoying Canada's rights, freedoms, privileges and prosperity.  None of those were created by accident"
And..
"if the city of Montreal decides not to restore the statue to where it stood for 125 years, we would be happy to receive it for installation on the grounds of the Alberta legislature"

When is this political correctness going to come to an end.  The blind continue to lead the blind... unfortunately.

No comments: