Monday, August 24, 2020

Headboard of Peeled Logs

I finished up the headboard that I made and brought it out to Nordegg on the weekend of August 8th.  I actually had four days off so I headed out of Friday and stayed until Monday.  It was pouring rain when I left the city so I elected not to bring out the new loveseat that we bought.  It actually rained quite hard most of the way out, so that proved to be a good decision.
By the time I got to Rocky Mountain House the clouds had opened up and the rain was coming to an end.  I stopped at the grocery store and picked up some grub for the weekend.  At this time of year, with the heat of the summer, it is easier to buy groceries in Rocky, so the food doesn't sit in a hot vehicle for three hours.  A cooler helps, but this is better.  Have to be respectful of the Covid situation and not transport the virus to a small town.  I'm very cautious about keeping distant and I wore a mask while I was in the store.  Masks have been made mandatory in Edmonton, so I'm getting used to wearing them in public.  In Rocky Mountain House they remain optional, though I wore mine.
The headboard looks really good and it makes that fact that I spent so much time peeling logs, not to mention dropping a tree on my foot, all worthwhile.  I've spent the last several weeks drying the logs and sanding them at the shop.  Every day after work, for most of the last several weeks, I worked on sanding and assembling the headboard.  A few days prior to the weekend it received its four coats of lacquer and I packed it up and brought it out.  I'm quite pleased with the way it looks and will now focus on finishing the matching footboard.
Hailey had to work part of the weekend but she joined me for the last two days.  We really didn't do much of anything.  Other than setting up the headboard, I just tinkered on a few things, mostly relaxed and played a little guitar.  For the past couple of months Hailey and I have been watching the old Twin Peaks TV series on DVD.  I bought the disks for her a few months back, thinking she would like them.  I was right, and she has become obsessed with the show.  We watched the pilot and both seasons.  Then we watched the prequel, Fire Walk with Me.  Followed by the anniversary follow up that came out 15 or 20 years later.  I'm glad that she enjoys it and its nice to do something together.  
I had to pack up and head home on Monday evening but Hailey stayed a couple of extra days by herself, before coming home mid-week.
 


 

No comments: