Saturday, August 8, 2020

Wedding Photographer

In late July the daughter of our neighbor at Nordegg got married.  The wedding ceremony was at their cottage, followed by the reception in town at the hall.  I was asked and volunteered to take a couple of photos with my big film camera.  In particular they wanted to attempt to replicate a shot of the bride and her mother at a mirror.  They had an old family photo of their grandmother in a similar shot.
I've shot weddings on a film a number of times in the past, but never with my big 4x5 view camera.  I've done studio portraits with the 4x5, but never something as fluid as a wedding.  It takes far too long to set up the big camera and there is too much activity on such a busy day to consider it.  Most people have no understanding of the process and the time requirements and hence there is limited patience.  In this case the wedding party had a full time photographer hired to shoot the entire wedding with a digital camera.  I was only asked to try to supplement that with a couple of film shots.
The mirror shot was fairly simple as I was able to set up in the bedroom in advance and thus there were only very minor adjustments needed once the bride and her mother arrived.  I attempted a couple other formal shots while the digital shooter was doing her thing.  I got one of the entire wedding party and one of the bride with her parents.  The shot that I attempted of the bride alone did not work out as I was rushed too much and was a little out of focus.  But all in all it went pretty well and our friends next door are quite pleased.  At some point soon I will make them some prints.



No comments: