Sunday, November 17, 2019

Ilford FP4+

Shortly after my return from Jasper I headed down to the darkroom and processed a batch of Ilford FP4+.  This was twenty sheets of 4" x 5" large format film.  I processed in Ilford Perceptol developer.  My standard development is to dilute the stock 1:1 and process for 11:45 minutes at 24 degrees.  This consistently yields a negative with a normal contrast range.
This batch included five sheets from the recent Fall Photo Weekend in Jasper, ten sheets from the trip out to Vancouver Island, and five sheets that date back to 2017.  This was the first time I have been able to get into the darkroom and do any processing for quite some time.  I always find it very exciting when I flip the lights on after processing and take that first look at the negatives.  I will be scanning and posting a bunch of these images over the next little while.
This one is from the recent trip to Jasper.  It is a shot of the Colin Range, as seen from the shore of Medicine Lake.  I used a long 500mm lens to get in tight on the mountain.  Note the trees partway down the face...  these are full size, adult evergreens...  this gives some idea of scale.  The sky, at this high altitude was a very deep blue, and it turned completely black with the use of a #25 Red Filter.


No comments: