Thursday, November 28, 2019

Back to Nordegg

This past Saturday, November 23rd, I headed back out to Nordegg.  It was hoped that Margarit would be able to join me, but that was not to be.  Too much stuff going on at home and with the girls.  I didn't make it out until around 2:00 in the afternoon Saturday.  Mostly I just wanted to check on the place as no one has been out for five weeks... since Thanksgiving.  I can monitor the temperature and thermostat remotely, as well as check my security cameras online.  But there is nothing quite like a personal visit to make sure all is good.
I went out for a walk on Saturday afternoon and met some new [to me] neighbors.  A couple from Red Deer that have had a cottage out in the subdivision since 2006, and recently made the move out here permanently.  Really nice people and we had a great visit.
In the evening I just mostly sat around the cottage, listening to music, nursing my sore ribs, and checking some e-mails.  I put some oats out for the deer.  Once it became too dark to keep an eye on them out the window, I would watch them on the phone app of my security cameras.  The cameras use Infrared to record a black and white image in darkness, and it is not visible to the human eye, or wildlife.  At one point a Red Fox wandered into the clearing, sat down for a few seconds, and then wandered off.
On Sunday morning it was overcast and quite a bit cooler.  My truck thermometer showed a temperature of +11 on the drive out on Saturday but on Sunday it only got up to a couple of degrees above freezing.  I think it must have rained a bit overnight and then turned to a skiff of snow.  It was really windy and dull and not a particularly nice day.  I was much lazier than I have ever been out there and didn't do much of anything.  I laid in bed for quite a while, resting my sore ribs, before I got up and had a late breakfast.  By mid afternoon I decided to pack up and head for home.
None of my cameras... not even the digital, or for that matter even the iPhone, made it out to take any photographs on the weekend, so I have no images to add to this blog post.
I saw three separate groups of wild horses on the way out on Saturday, and then again on the way home on Sunday.  I also saw a Great Gray Owl on a stump.  But other than that it was a rather low key and uneventful weekend.  I got back home in time to catch the second half of the Grey Cup game on TV, and then turned in early.

No comments: