Friday, August 2, 2019

Time to Unwind

Last week I felt emotionally drained after attending the two funerals for Matthew and Vince.  I headed out of town on Saturday afternoon, after Vince's funeral service.  As is usually the case, Hailey had to work, so the girls stayed home, and I went out by myself.  I didn't get out there until early evening and just unpacked a few things and relaxed.
On Sunday morning I visited for a bit with my neighbor Dan who was out working on his place next door.  In the afternoon and evening I puttered around on a couple of chores.  I temporarily installed out kitchen sink into the temporary counter top that I have in our kitchen.  I hooked up the hot and cold water supply so that we can use the sink.  This will make cooking and dishes a lot easier in the future.  I didn't bother to hook up the trap and the drain as I don't know the exact final position of the sink until I get the last section of cupboard and our permanent counter top installed.  For now the sink will just be drained into a bucket or tub to be emptied.
I also worked on the installation of more of the stone veneer on the cottage foundation.  I got most of it installed on the front side and now have mostly just the west side left to do.
With the landing now built at our door I put out a carved bear that we have been storing since last year.  Our realtor gave this to us as a gift last year, and we were waiting for a place to put it.  It is chainsaw carved out of a log and is holding a small sign with our name.  He is now parked in the corner of our small entrance landing.
There were a few deer around on the weekend, and the woodchuck was hanging around our woodpile most of the time.  Our neighbor has named him Mr. Tubbs, and the name fits.  He was pretty skittish and shy at first but seemed to be getting used to me being around by the end of the weekend.
I actually booked an extra day off work and stayed out at the cottage on Monday.  I finished up the chores that I had started on Sunday, but mostly just relaxed for a bit.  I headed back home into the city in the afternoon so that I would arrive in time to go to the Def Leppard concert at Rogers Place that evening.  Margarit was supposed to go with me, but her Mom had a fall and ended up going to hospital to get checked out.  Hailey came to the concert with me instead.
 



No comments: