Saturday, January 5, 2019

Rob's Millwork Shop

Since returning from Nordegg on January 2nd, I've spent three full days at my shop working on kitchen cabinets for the cottage.  I want to get the bodies of the three lower sections all assembled and out of the way before the shop re-opens from the holiday break on January 7th.  These will be arranged in a U-shape to fit into the kitchen, at the cottage.
The phone rang maybe a dozen or so times each of the two weekdays at I was at the shop.  Seems we haven't missed much by closing down for an extended break.  The staff all appreciate the extra time off, as do I... and it saves the company some wage expense.  Everyone will return to work refreshed and ready on the 7th and we will be more productive for it.
I used some inexpensive birch plywood to build the bodies of these cabinets.  I used the same material previously to build the bathroom vanity and the pantry.  Turns out this stuff is made in China, and not very dimensionally stable.  It is all bowed and warped and difficult to build with.  Once everything is clamped, glued and nailed together I managed to pull everything fairly straight.  With this part of the project done I can now move on to putting the hickory on the exposed faces, and building all the drawers and doors.  I'm hoping that within a month or so this fabrication is complete and I can take these cupboards out to the cottage and install them.  
Then I will need to make a decision about what to use for counter tops, and to build the two upper cupboards.  If we can at least get the lower ones and the counter top installed fairly soon, then we can put in our kitchen sink.  That will make life so much easier as we will no longer have to do dishes in plastic wash tubs and transport water to and from the bathroom.





No comments: