Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Rachel's Quinceanara

Back in the summer I took a bunch of portraits of my neighbor's daughter.  Rachel is turning 15 in January of 2024 and her family is planning a big Quinceanara celebration.  This is the celebration of a young woman coming of age.  Her Dad spent a lot of time in South America, and her mother is Hispanic.
I had the honor of being asked to take some portraits.  The family wanted some portraits of Rachel taken in the summer, as conditions in January will likely not be great for photographing outdoors.  The family also wanted the portraits taken in Black and White.
I was happy to oblige, and one evening last summer Rachel got all dressed up in her gown and we headed over to Rainbow Valley.  I shot about a dozen sheets of large format film, half on Ilford HP5 developed in 510 Pyro, and half on Bergger Pancro 400 developed in HC-110.
Following my return home from the Fall Photo Weekend in Jasper, I processed the Bergger stuff.  I had already processed the HP5 images earlier in the fall.  I am now able to review everything, and decide which images are technically the best.  Of course the family will have final say and decide which images they prefer as aesthetically the best.  I will provide them with high resolution scans of the images, and I will also make some darkroom prints for them from a couple of the best negatives.  This image, one of the ones shot on Bergger Pancro 400, is one of my favorites...



No comments: