Saturday, November 25, 2023

Athabasca Eddy

This is one of the first sheets of film I have developed from the recent Fall Photo Weekend in Jasper, with the Monochrome Guild.  This one was taken on Remembrance Day, November 11th, shortly after the moment of silence... at 11:50AM.  I used my Ebony 4" x 5" view camera, and a long 360mm lens.  A #25 Red Filter deepened the value of the turquoise colored water, as well as the small little shadow areas.  I shot this on a film that I don't use all that often.  This is Bergger Pancro 400, exposed at 320 iso.  In the past I have been disappointed with the lack of contrast exhibited by this film, so this time I experimented and processed in Kodak HC-110 Developer, dilution B, for 9:15 minutes at 24C.  This rather robust and fast acting developer provided a nice increase in constrast over what I'm used to with this film.
This is an eddy on the Athabasca River, in the canyon just below Athabasca Falls, in Jasper National Park.  The bubbles in the water were swirling around in this water worn cavity in the rock.  I thought a longer exposure would yield an interesting pattern.  I was not disappointed, and this is the result of a 4 second exposure.  I took a second shot on a different, slower film, with an even longer exposure.  I'm interested to see what that one looks like when I get around to processing the film.



No comments: