Thursday, November 30, 2023

Work Continues....

On November 20th I slept in a little, and then had a leisurely breakfast.  I eventually got my butt in gear and set to work in the guest cottage at around 11:00AM.  I had a number of things on my agenda, for this date, and I managed to get to most of them.
I managed to finish installing vinyl floor tiles in the west bedroom.  It was a mild day... for this time of year... but did not get nearly as warm as it had in recent days.  The sun busted out off and on, and the breeze was light, most of the time.  The temperature struggled up to about +5C.  In the late morning I dug out the table saw and cut up some hardwood for trim around the stone floor, and some hemlock for use as door stop stock.  I also set up the sawhorses outside and managed to prime and paint the hemlock, and get several coats of lacquer on the hardwood maple.  I never did get around to any ceramic tile, or any trim, but I was satisfied with what I was able to accomplish.
Later that evening I watched the Oilers game on TV, and was once again disgusted when they blew an early lead and lost the game, this time to the Florida Panthers.  Once the game ended, feeling rather tired, I went to bed.
The problem with going to bed early is that I can't sleep more than about 6 hours or so... and I was wide awake at about 4:00AM.  I laid around for over and hour and tried to fall back asleep, but I couldn't.  So by about 5:30 I just got up and got busy.  I had my morning coffee and some breakfast and did the dishes from the last couple of days before it even got light.
I worked in the guest cottage for a few hours in the morning.  I put away a bunch of junk and cleared some space in the East Bedroom.  Then I applied filler to the joints and screw heads in about half of the floor area.  This has to be done several hours in advance of applying adhesive and floor tiles.  While that filler was curing, I moved back to the West Bedroom.  I cut and installed casing around the door jamb, corner trim, and baseboards.  Once I had finished with that, I cut a bunch of ceramic tiles for the backsplash in the kitchen.  Then I moved over to the bathroom, and finished installing the strike plate and the stops in the door jamb.
By this time it was about 1:00PM.  The forecast was calling for this day to be the best day of the week.  So I took advantage of that and took a short break from work.  I went for a drive south on the Forestry Trunk Road as far as the North Ram River.  The temperature peaked at about +15C on my truck thermometer, but it was partly overcast and fairly breezy.  I stopped a couple of times and set up the view camera for a couple of compositions, but nothing really exciting.
When I got back to the cottage at about 3:30 I decided that I needed to do a little more work.  I glued the ceramic tiles on for the kitchen backsplash, below the window.  The I started installing vinyl floor tiles in the East Bedroom.  I shut things down around 4:30 and set about a few other chores.  I put a few oats out for the deer, and brought in some firewood.  Then I started the BBQ and put on a baked potato, some wings and a steak.  By early evening the wind had really picked up, and the temperature dropped right off.  It is forecast to snow overnight, and only make it up slightly above freezing on Wednesday.











No comments: