Thursday, May 12, 2022

Bubble Trails - Tmax 100 in 510 Pyro

This image is from a recently processed batch of Kodak T-Max 100 in 4" x 5" format.  I processed in 510 Pyro developer.  This has become a favorite of mine, and the only thing that I have found that overcomes the low contrast of this film.  I first started shooting 4x5 with T-Max 100 over twenty years ago and have given up on it several times.  It seemed I could never find a developer that yielded enough contrast and good tonal range.  I tried T-Max developer, Rodinal, HC-110 among others.  A few years back I found the formula on line for 510 Pyro.  This developer was invented by American photographer Jay DeFehr.  I'm grateful that he shares his information as this has become a favorite of mine.  To the best of my knowledge it is not commercially available so I mix up my own from bulk chemicals.  The pyrogallol in the developer stains the emulsion brown.  That stain is proportional to the amount of exposed silver in the film, and adds increased density.
This shot was taken last fall on an afternoon stroll in Blackmud Creek Ravine.  This location is within the city of Edmonton, and there are residential neighborhoods on either side of the valley.  The water level in the creek was low, and it bubbles as it rambled through this rocky gravel bar.  I used a long exposure to record the bubbles as streaks in the dark water.  I think it turned out pretty well.



No comments: