Monday, April 20, 2020

Still waiting for Spring

I managed to extend the Easter long weekend by an extra day as the shop was closed for Easter Monday.  I was able to accomplish a few things out at the cottage over the holiday weekend but mostly it was just a lazy, relaxing weekend.  I returned to work on Tuesday and things have been really chaotic.  Despite the fact that the COVID-19 pandemic has significantly impacted life for most people, the company has remained really busy, and the week following Easter has been no exception.  There have been a lot of inquiries for plastic sheet stock and protective shields.  We are very fortunate that we are able to keep busy.  One staff member was recently terminated, and one was laid off a few weeks ago.  But those that remain are able to maintain close to full time hours and it seems that, at least for the time being, the company will survive the pandemic.  This is great news for me as I attempt to work myself out of an active role, collect the remaining funds owing to me from the sale, and transition into retirement.  Mostly I have been working more hours than I did when I owned the place but I'm optimistic that the transition will begin in the coming weeks.
My oldest daughter Hailey, and my youngest daughter Helena, stayed out at Nordegg after the Easter weekend, while I returned to the city along with Margarit and middle daughter Anna.  As I previously reported, we got a pretty significant dump of snow over the Easter weekend.  After we left, the girls reported that they were dumped on even more.  I understand that there have been accumulations of up to a foot, of more snow.  Here in the city the snow is quickly disappearing, except in shaded and sheltered areas.  Out in the mountains, it seems that spring remains a distant dream.  Margarit and Anna plan to head back out on Thursday or Friday morning.  Once my work week wraps up I will head back out as well.  If I can wind things up early enough on Friday, I will head out that evening after work.  If not, the I will head out on Saturday morning.  I will have to return on Sunday to resume the work week on Monday.  The girls will continue to spend most of their time out at the cottage as it is a safe and comfortable place to isolate while this pandemic rages on.
My 57th birthday is coming up later this week.  I can remember a number of times over those years that we still had a little snow on the ground on my birthday.  Most years it was still just a little sloppy and unsettled.  A few times it has been really mild and warm.  This year is the exception.  It remains very cold and we have more than a little snow left here in the city.  Out at the cottage there are significant accumulations of snow remaining and it looks more like Christmas than Easter.  

No comments: