Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Expired

Kodak High Speed Infrared, 4" x 5", 100 iso with #25 Red Filter.  Normal development in T-Max developer, 1:6, 6:45 minutes, Minimal agitation. 24C.  Taken July 2017.  Ebony SV45TU.  Rodenstock Grandagon N 90mm. 

Kodak discontinued this film back in the 1990's.  The last batches they made expired in 2000 and 2001.  Surprisingly I'm still shooting it 20 years later.  They used to ship the film to retailers in boxes with dry ice.  There were warnings about how susceptible it was to fogging.  I bought all I could get my hands on when they stopped making it.  Over the years a number of friends that have dropped film photography to jump on the digital bandwagon, gave me their remaining stock.  I still have quite a few boxes in my freezer.  I keep it frozen until I load it, but then sometimes it sits in holders for quite some time before I shoot it.  After exposure I unload and keep it in the fridge until I process it.  The image quality is certainly deteriorating, but as can be seen in this image, it still isn't too bad.  This particular sheet of film reached its best before date in October of 2001.  I loaded it into a film holder in April of 2017, and exposed it in July of that summer.  After exposure I kept it in my fridge until March of 2020 when I processed it.

Wagon Wheels and Old House, Lamont County, Alberta.


1 comment:

Off the Beaten Path - with Chris & Connie said...

Seemed to come out okay. It'll be fun to see how all that film we recently found, that expired in the 1970s-1980s, will work out. I'm expecting some "interesting" results.