Thursday, November 22, 2018

Wood Grave Marker

The most recent batch of Acros that I processed included some current work, like my recent post from Brazeau, as well as some older shots from 2017.  This image was taken in August of 2017 down in the badlands near Drumheller.  Anna and I went out exploring together for the day.  It was smoking hot and it was all I could do to pack around my heavy camera.  Anna and I hiked up to the top of the valley to check out this abandoned cemetery.  By the time we got up to the top Anna was suffering heat stroke and had to lie down in the shade for a while as I took some photographs.  It was relatively early in the day when we set out, but it was well above 30C by the time we got back down to the where we had parked the truck at the bottom.  The cemetery dates back over a hundred years and all but a handful of the grave markers are gone.  Surprisingly this one wood marker survives.  There are a couple of other stone markers remaining, though most are damaged.  A bunch of depressions in the group suggest where the graves are but not much remains of this place.  It is beginning to get swallowed up by brush and overgrowth.  This image was taken on Acros 4" x 5" sheet film with my Ebony view camera.  The film was exposed at iso 80 and processed in Rodinal 1:50 for 11:00 minutes at 24C.  A #25 Red filter was used for added contrast.


No comments: