Monday, November 5, 2018

Pantry Complete

I finally finished the free-standing pantry that I've had under construction for months.  This will be set up out at the cottage.  I actually finished most of it last spring.  Then when I went to put the doors on earlier this summer, I found that they didn't quite fit.  The project was put on the back burner for countless weeks while I focused my attention on other work at the cottage.  Recently, with the cottage mostly complete, and a return to winter weather conditions, I refocused my attention back on this piece.  I routed a slight notch on the interior frame of the cabinet at the location of each hinge.  This allowed the doors to be mounted with proper clearance.  Then, the I secured the tongue and groove pine panelling into the hickory framed doors.  This past weekend I took a piece of Lodgepole pine that I had set aside.  I dried this trunk in the forming oven at the shop.  I split the pieces on the bandsaw, and finished them with a heavy coat of lacquer.  These were secured, pine cones and all, into the faces of the doors.  This generally matches the bathroom vanity that I previously made.  Our kitchen cabinets and cupboards will be made in a similar manner.  This cabinet, once it makes its way out to the cottage, will be set up beside our kitchen and used as a pantry to store dry goods, canned goods and dishes.  With the cottage as small as it is we have limited space for kitchen cabinets and cupboards and this will supplement that.  It feels good to finally finish this, and now I can turn my attention to some new work.



No comments: