Sunday, November 4, 2018

Armoire

I think this is the first weekend since March that I've stayed home.  Almost every other weekend was spent working on the cottage, save a few when we were travelling.  We went to the Springfest in East Coulee in May, and the Pohl Family weekend up in Jasper.  I went on the road trip out to Saskatchewan with Chris, Connie, Rueben and Byron.  And then we attended Tanja's wedding in early September in Youngstown.  This past weekend it was the Fall Photo Weekend.  In between there were a lot of hours worked on all aspects of the cottage construction.  It is nearing completion now and I can spend the next few months with a little more leisurely schedule.
Yesterday I went to the shop for a while and worked on an interior door, a cabinet, and some handrails for the cottage.  In the afternoon Margarit and I checked out a second hand and antique store, and then went to a pub down on Whyte Avenue in the afternoon.  My guitar teacher Gary Wayne Meyers was playing a solo set at the pub and we went to check it out.  After that we stopped at the Mexican grocery store and picked up supplies for a big batch of enchiladas and tamales.
Today I got up fairly early, but it seemed like I'd slept in because of the switch from Daylight Saving to Standard Time.  
I actually went back into the darkroom this morning and processed a batch of film.  This was the first time I'd done any processing since February.  The film is still washing now but I will scan and post some of the images in the coming days.
I also dug through my archive of negatives and found a scan of one that I haven't posted yet.  This one was taken back in April of 2017 when Margarit and I were out on a day trip.  We found this old farmhouse, totally overgrown with carraganas.  Once we made our way inside, we found that it was still furnished, and full of the possessions of the former occupant.  I wonder what the story is behind that, and why all this stuff was left behind...?
I shot this one with a really slow large format film, Rollei RPX-25, which was processed in Perceptol developer.  I used a really slow shutter speed of 16 seconds, to allow for a small aperture, to hold depth of field.  This also blurred the curtains that were waving in the breeze.  After the recent trip to the badlands, and my visit to the darkroom this morning, I'm feeling really enthused about my return to photography.


No comments: