Saturday, February 1, 2014

More Film Processing...

I am putting on a real push to finish up processing my backlog of old 4x5 black and white film.  I still have a few left to go from 2009 and 2010, and lots from after that.  This time around I processed a few sheets of Ilford Delta 100 at N+2 development.  This development leaves the film in the developer significantly longer than for normal development.  This results in a very dense negative, with a significant increase in contrast.  I reserve this for images that were captured in really flat light.  There was one negative in this small batch that turning out nicely...


At the same time a cleaned up a couple of small batches of Ilford FP4+ film.  Some of this material received normal development, and some received N+1, to increase contrast somewhat.  This latter batch even included one of those elusive large format wildlife shots...  I think I've only captured images of wildlife two or three times in the past with a large format camera.  Mostly it has been by accident, when something wandered into a scene that I was shooting.  That was the case this time too...


The other images were a mixed bag... a couple taken on the recent Fall Photo Weekend in Jasper, back in November of 2013...



Also a shot of some Aspen Trunks, this was my most recent attempt at an Orton Image.  This technique involves double exposing the film, once normally, and a second time with the camera out of focus.  It is supposed to impart a soft and dreamy, almost foggy look.  This one met with limited success.  I think it works better if there is a little more contrast in the subject.  Also, I think the out of focus exposure needs to be a little longer than the sharp one.  In this case they were the same.


The last one is a shot of the porch of an old house, taken in 2011.  This is a really cool old house, and I think some of the other images that I captured that day, on other films, are better than this one.  But I included this scan just for the hell of it...


No comments: