Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Winter Hockey - Game 21

Last night after dinner I prepared for a late hockey game.  The Renegades were facing off against Los Banditos, a new team to our Divisiion X.  Then had been moved down from a higher division right after the holiday break.  I had completely shuffled our line up looking to put an end to our ongoing losing streak.  I printed off the line up sheet, packed my gear, and went to put on my contact lenses.  I opened a fresh set of contacts, rinsed off the first one, and put it into my eye.  I was immediately met with an extreme burning and excruciating pain.  Thinking I'd had something on my hands, I washed my hands and proceeded to put in the second lens.  Same thing... burning pain.  My eyes turned bright red, started watering profusely, and became very swollen and sore.  After much rinsing and wiping I had a look at the bottle of contact lens solution only go discover that it was actually a cleaning and disinfecting solution of hydrogen peroxide and a weak acid in saline.  It said right on the bottle, NOT to be used prior to insertion.
Eventually my eyes cleared enough for me to be able to drive across town to the Knights of Columbus Arena for our 10:30 game.  When I arrived and went into the dressing room my buddy Matt, our backup goalie looked at me and immediately asked if I was stoned.  I explained the whole contact lens thing and he laughed at me as the rest of the guys began arriving for the game.
We played a solid game and the complete shuffling of our lines seemed to inject some life into the team.  We jumped out to an early 1-0 lead and never looked back.  At one point in the third period we were up by a score of 5-1, and hung on for a 6-3 victory.
This lifts us out of last place in the division, one point out of a playoff spot.  Hopefully this is the start of better things to come.

No comments: