Tuesday, May 31, 2011

New Film

It never ceases to amaze me that manufacturer's continue to introduce new products to the traditional film based photographic market.  Granted, for every new product that comes a long, a number of old ones go the way of the Dodo bird.  Yet in this era of digital photography there are a few niche market suppliers that continue to support artists working with traditional materials.  Kodak continues to discontinue all sorts of things, originally black and white paper, and then several films.  Yet, they recently introduced a new color negative film, Ektar 100.  Ilford has recovered from bankruptcy and continues to support the black and white market maintaining their offering of film, paper and chemistry with only a few casualties.  Perhaps they are only new to the North American market but several European manufacturers have made new product available.  This includes Efke, Maco, Adox, and Rollei.  I recently experimented with Rollei ATP 1.1.  This is "advanced technical pan" film that is supposed to be very similar to the old Kodak Technical Pan film that was discontinued a number of years ago.  This film features extremely fine grain, and depending on the developer used, can be developed to provide continuous tone negatives for pictorial applications, or very high contrast negatives.  I chose to process my two rolls in highly dilute Rodinal, with minimal agitation.  I extended the development, and increased the processing temperature a little, thinking that I didn't give quite enough exposure to the film.  It was my goal to acheive some smooth toned pictorial images.  The resulting negatives were a little too contrasty for my liking so I need to scale back on development a little.  The first roll was taken at the Crooked Trees in Saskatchewan with my Gaeorsi 625 Panoramic Camera...



The second roll was shot with my Hasselblad, partly on day trips around Edmonton, but also at the family reunion trip to Jasper a couple weeks ago...




No comments: