Sunday, April 21, 2024

A visit to Nordegg

The last time I was out at the cottage in Nordegg was when Margarit and I spent the Family Day long weekend.  I finally made it back, this time as a solo trip, on April 8th.  Almost two months passed between visits, and I think this is the longest I have ever been away.
This time it was my intention to bring out the old jukebox that I bought over a year ago.  I want to get it restored and functioning and set it up in the guest cottage.  The guy that I have lined up to work on it, lives in Lake Louise, so I thought I would bring it to the cottage, and he could assess it there.  But, I was unable to load the jukebox by myself, as it was just too heavy.  I had a two wheeler and some planks, but even at that, it was too much for one.  So instead I loaded up a reclining chair and a bench and brought that out instead.
I only stayed at the cottage for a little over three days, and was generally pretty lazy.  It was really quiet out there as none of our neighbors were around, so I just enjoyed relaxing.  I did get the recliner and the bench unloaded and set up.  The bench used to belong to my brother's family, and it was made by my Dad.  My brother's family no longer has space for it in their house, so I claimed it for the cottage.  I cleared out a spot beside our entrance door in the main cottage, that had essentially just become a junk pile, and put the bench there.
The weather wasn't great while I was out there and it snowed heavily off and on for the first day after I arrived.  Aside from setting up the furniture that I brought, I also managed to move my big chop saw out of the guest cottage.  Before putting it away in the garage I used it to cut up a bunch of picture frame stock for some upcoming projects.  After that I made a run to the dump and got rid of a little household garbage and a bunch of cardboard for recycling.
There were lots of birds and a few deer around.  I put out the last little bit of oats that I have left from the winter feedings.  Now that it has warmed up and the bears will be active again, the feeding has to come to a stop for the summer.  The Red Fox that we have seen in the yard for many years now made his or her appearance at one point as well.



No comments: