Monday, November 27, 2023

Good to be Back

On Friday November 17th we celebrated my Mom's 90th birthday.  Margarit and I, along with my brother Greg, his wife Barb, my nephew Colin, and Barb's Mom Shirley all took my Mom out for dinner.  It was a nice evening.  Sadly my brother Wes and his family from Calgary were not able to make it.
On Saturday the 18th I loaded up the truck and hit the road for Nordegg.  We have been accumulating all sorts of stuff at home in our living, waiting for the day when we can take it to Nordegg.  Although the guest cottage is not finished yet, it is far enough along that we can start taking stuff out, and making some space back home.
Last time I was out, way back in early October, I brought out the dinette table and two of the chairs.  This time around I loaded up the other two chairs.  I also loaded up an area rug, a bed frame, some finishing lumber, and a second hand slipper chair and end table that we bought.  I also managed to squeeze in the TV, some dishes, and a few other supplies.
I arrived at the cottage in the mid afternoon.  It was soooo nice to be back.....!  I have been on the road so much lately with the trips out to Vancouver Island and Jasper.  The last time that I was out at Nordegg it was early October, and I was still golfing.  There has been snow a couple of times already, the golf course is long closed, and the hockey rink will be open soon.
I off loaded everything once I arrived and put things in their proper place.  Then I settled down for the evening.  I tried to watch the hockey game on TV, but my Oilers soiled the mattress once again, and lost a road game to the Tampa Bay Lightning.
On Sunday morning I awoke before dawn.  I went downstairs to use the washroom and saw that the clock said 6:45.  I figured I might as well get up and get busy.  Later I realized that the clocks had not been set back to Standard Time, and it was really 5:45AM.  I had a shower, and then some coffee and some breakfast and then set to work.
I cleared out the west bedroom and applied filler to the screw heads in the subfloor.  Then I installed a small section of ceramic tile on the kitchen backsplash.  After that I proceeded with installation of the remaining trim in the bathroom.  By this time it had warmed up outside so I applied another coat of spray paint to the retro medicine cabinet that we bought some time ago.  Later still I continued with installation of about half of the floor tiles to the west bedroom.  Late in the afternoon I moved some materials around in the bedroom and applied filler to the rest of the screws.  This is in preparation for installation of the rest of the floor tiles tomorrow.  Finally, I moved a small sofa over from the main cottage.  By this time I was tired, and the late afternoon sun was setting.... early... as it does at this time of the year.  I shut things down and headed back over to the main cottage to make something for dinner.  I decided to run a batch of my Shrimp in Cream Sauce, and set to work on that.....






No comments: