Sunday, November 24, 2013

Busy Day-And-A-Half

Monochrome Guild Meeting...
On Friday we had a meeting with the gang from the Monochrome Guild, here at my place.  Mostly we discussed getting our website up and running again, and making plans for our upcoming Friends and Family Show.  It was an enjoyable evening with friends, discussing photography, doing a little scotch tasting, and just relaxing.

Winter Hockey - Game 11
I didn't get to bed after the photo meeting until well after midnight.  About four hours later I woke up, not feeling so great.  Apparently I shouldn't have had that last scotch...  By around 5:30 I forced myself out of bed, had a quick shower, and headed over to a northside rink for an EARLY morning hockey game.  The puck dropped a little after SEVEN in the AM, as the Renegades faced off against the Bulldogs.  We jumped out to an early lead and held on to it through the entire game, eventually posting another victory, this time by a score of 8-4.  We now have a record of 10 wins and 1 loss through the first 11 games of the season. After the game we celebrated our victory in the dressing room with a beer for breakfast.  Mine didn't really agree with me, given the scotch the night before.  I headed home looking forward to a nap...

Mom's Surprise Party
After napping for a couple of hours and shaking off the cobwebs from the night before, and the early morning hockey game, we got ready for the surprise party.  My Mom turned 80 last weekend, and we had planned a big surprise party for her.  More or less at the last minute we had to call it off because of the poor weather. My brother Wes and his family from Calgary were unable to make the drive up due to all the snow.  Some of our other guests were somewhat reluctant to drive the roads as well.  So, we re-scheduled for this Saturday.  My brother Wes and his family, the girls and I, and several friends of my Mom all showed up at a downtown restaurant.  We there there in advance of my Mom and got set up with a few decorations in a semi-private room.  A short time later Mom arrived with my brother Greg and his family.  She was expecting it to be just a small casual dinner but when she walked into the room, she was surprised and taken aback. Numerous white lies and excuses had been made over the past couple of weeks in an attempt to keep this whole event secret, including a Sunday brunch last weekend that was supposed to pass for a birthday party. It worked... and she was completely surprised.  We enjoyed a nice dinner together and it was a great time for everyone.

No comments: