Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Whiskeyjacks

We have a pair of Whiskeyjacks that hang around our cottage.  At one time there were three, but now we are down to just two.  These birds are year round residents and are also known as Gray Jays or Canada Jays.  Camp Robber Jay is another name that many know them by.  They are quite bold and known to hang around people. 
I did a little reading and I understand that they mate for life.  It is apparently common that they keep their offspring with them for at least a year into adulthood.  I believe that the two we have now are the mated pair, and the third one that was around earlier in the fall was probably their offspring.  I suspect that he or she has probably now moved on in search of a mate.
They aren't around our property all the time, but I see them almost every day.  When I do, I try to go out with some food for them.  If I see them flitting about in the trees I'll grab a handful of nuts and go stand out in the yard.  If I whistle a sort of "yoo-hoo" they will come silently gliding in out of the forest.  One of the two has become quite accustomed to me and will land on my hand and eat the nuts.  The second one is still a little skittish.  I think it may be the female as she is slightly smaller.  She will come to me, and eat the nuts from the ground at my feet, but is a little too shy to land on my hand.
Over the past few weeks all three of the girls have also been able to hand feed at least the one.  They are pretty well feed and I hope they stay around.  
The deer are getting really tame as well.  Particularly now that hunting season is over.  All four of the bucks that hang around our place are still around, even this little guy with the tiny spikes.  There are three or for does, as well as their yearling fawns.  I have seen as many as ten deer in our yard at the same time.




No comments: