Thursday, January 7, 2021

Trunk Road

On January 3rd I set out after breakfast for a little drive.  First I loaded up all the garbage that had accumulated at the cottage of the past little while.  There has been at least one person, and most the time the entire family, at the cottage for the better part of three weeks.  We had all the aftermath and fallout from our Christmas dinner and gift openings.  The girls had a the little and waste from their pet cages.  I think there were a couple of bags left over from previously.  There were 15 bags that I hauled to the dump.
It dawned clear and sunny and quite a bit cooler.  It was around -2 when I started loading up all the stuff for the dump.  By mid afternoon it peaked at around +1.  Overnight there was a light dusting of about 3/4 of an inch of snow, which really freshened things up.  At the cottage it seemed as though it was not all that windy.  Certainly not nearly like the gale force winds we had yesterday.  But they picked up in the afternoon, and out in the open, it was pretty brisk.  I was still able to set up and take a couple of photographs with my view cameras.  But any windier and it would not have been possible.  I suspect that the wind may have caused some camera movement and spoiled one of my 8x10 shots that had a fairly long exposure time of about 1 second.
I headed north from the dump and got about as far as Chungo Creek Road.  The wind was pretty brisk up here and it was blowing the fresh snow around quite a bit.  I managed one set up with my 4x5 in a sheltered spot and did a composition of the forest edge.  Later I went south on the Trunk Road, near the Industrial Park, where I had taken some photos a couple of days prior.  This time there was some interesting clouds and blowing snow coming off the Bighorn Range to the west.  I attempted a couple of shots with both the 4x5 and the 8x10.  I was thoroughly chilled by the wind and my fingers were numb so after that I headed back to the cottage.  
I'm not sure if the wind died down, or if it was just more sheltered there.  But I dug out my chop saw and table saw and cut up a little bit of wood.  This will allow me to finish doing some trim around our basement door, and to complete the frame for the door itself.  By the time that was finished, the sun was settling down towards the mountains in the west and the day was coming to an end.  But it was most certainly a good one....






No comments: