Monday, January 25, 2021

Is No More

Since I got back home from Nordegg in early January, I've been spending most of my days in my darkroom.  We are forced to isolate right now due to Covid.  So other than the occasional road trip, mostly I've been working on organizing my negatives and processing my backlog of undeveloped film.  As I was going through a bunch of older 8x10 negatives I came across this one.  
There is a site up in Smoky Lake County that was once a Russian Monastery.  There is pretty much nothing left there any more.  The site was abandoned over fifty years ago.  The few buildings that remained have mostly fallen down now.  At one point, about seven or eight years ago, someone left a piano out in the woods... an offering of some sort, I suppose.  I shot this image with my big 8x10 camera back in the fall of 2014.  It was taken on the now discontinued Fuji Neopan Acros 100 sheet film.  I used a Rodenstock 360mm lens.  This lens is approximately equivalent to a 60mm lens in 135 or full frame digital format.  Development was in Rodinal 1:50 for 11:00 minutes.
Some of my Monochrome Guild friends recently visited this site and even the piano has now succumbed to the elements.  I understand that it has fallen apart and is now laying on the ground in pieces.  Just like everything else... ashes to ashes and dust to dust...



No comments: