Thursday, January 14, 2021

HC-110 Developer for plus development - Example Three

Here is a third example of a negative given extended development in order to increase contrast.  This particular shot was a dead fir tree, scorched by a prescribed burn, in the Sawback area of Banff National Park.  It was taken in June of 2005, at about 5:00 in the afternoon.  I used my Sinar F1 4" x 5" monorail view camera, and a Nikkor 500mm telephoto lens.  This focal length is roughly equivalent to a 165mm lens in 35mm film or full frame digital format.  
The film was Ilford FP4+.  I underexposed it slightly by rating the film speed at 160iso, rather than the "box" speed of 125.  Development was in Kodak HC-110 Developer, dilution B, for 14:20 minutes at 20 degrees C [68F].  This extended development was intended to raise the contrast by approximately one stop.  I metered the scene with a Pentax Digital Spot Meter.  The grass in the foreground had a reading of EV 14-1/3.  The bare trunk and the branches metered at EV 14-2/3.  The burnt bark was two stops darker at EV 12-2/3.  The background forest was in the range of EV 11-1/3 to 13-2/3.  The total subject brightness range of the scene was slightly over three stops.
I used a #8 yellow filter at the time of exposure and compensated with the applicable filter factor.  I thought this might brighten up the grass a little, but it probably had minimal effect.  All in all I'm fairly pleased with this image as I think the choice of film/developer really sparked up this rather dull and flat scene.
I know this probably does not make a whole lot of sense for those that are not familiar with film and the darkroom, but I hope the image is enjoyed nonetheless.  And, for those that understand analog photography, I hope that this information is found helpful.



No comments: