Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Tangle Falls

Tangle Falls is a spectacular waterfall, right beside the Icefields Parkway.  It is located in Jasper National Park, just north of the Columbia Icefields.  At this time of year the spring snowmelt is at its peak in the high country, and the waterfall is just roaring.  Later in the fall the volume of water coming over the edge is significantly reduced.
Rob and I stopped here twice last week.  The first time we photographed it from the roadside.  We were rather frustrated as the place was crawling with tourists and it was difficult to work.  I'll bet that there are thousands of pictures taken of this waterfall every day.  The vast majority of those are taken with a smart phone, from down at the side of the road.  A small percentage of the visitors actually climb up the trail to the falls themselves.  Its not very far, and only a minor little scramble over a small outcrop, but this seems to deter most people.  The second time that we visited, Rob and I took our large format cameras up to the base of the falls.  Mine was soaked with mist on one of the shots that I took.  There were a few others that ventured up there, a few with digital cameras, and one even had a tripod...!  The percentage of images taken at this location on film, and in particular with large format film, is minuscule compared to all the snapshots.
I look forward to processing my film to see if I captured the raw force of the place.  In the meantime here are three images taken in the same format as the masses... with my smart phone.




No comments: