Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Long Weekend in Nordegg

The girls and I all headed out to Nordegg for the Labor Day Long Weekend.  We left the city on Friday evening, right after work.  Our travel plans were delayed as there was a big traffic jam on Highway 2 heading south out of the city.  It turns out that an RV exploded and caught on fire and traffic was backed up for miles.  It took us almost 1-1/2 hours to get from our house in the city, to the Nisku overpass just beyond the city limits.  After that it was clear sailing, but this delay meant we didn't arrive in Nordegg until well after dark... at about 11:00PM.
It rained heavily overnight and the next day it was pretty muddy.  This was the first time that I saw the new vinyl plank flooring that had been previously installed in the cottage.  The girls saw it the weekend prior while I was away in Saskatchewan.  We moved our fridge from its temporary location in the garage, into our kitchen.  I set up a heavy duty shelving unit in the garage to store a bunch of small stuff in a more organized manner.  I also built a temporary kitchen counter using a half sheet of 3/4" plywood.  The other half I installed as a temporary lunch counter in our bay window.  These will eventually be replaced when I have the permanent cabinets, cupboards and counter tops finished.
Rob from Action Security Cameras came out on Saturday and installed our camera system for us.  This involves a bunch of programming and set up that is beyond the understanding of an old dinosaur like me.  
Then on Sunday, Scott of Shunda Creek Contracting stopped by and used his skid steer to lift our kitchen range into the cottage.  It is a modern gas range made to look like an antique.  It is the one item that we really splurged on so far.  The specs claim that it weighs over 400 Lbs so the equipment was in order to get it into place.  Later on Sunday afternoon my brother Greg and his wife Barb came out for a visit.  This was their first time out at our place.  We had dinner together that evening and they stayed overnight.  Greg even helped me to lift the kitchen range off of it's pallet and slide it into place.  I got the gas line hooked up and we were finally able to cook inside...!
On holiday Monday we went out for a ride on the ATV's.  We hit some of the trails and stopped down along the creek.  There was an American Dipper bobbing around the falls.  By afternoon we started packing up and getting ready to go home.  Greg and Barb set out on their way and the girls and I left a couple hours later.  I saw the wild horses along the road on the way home... the first time I have seen them in a while.








No comments: