Sunday, September 30, 2018

Winter in September

The weather this September has been very cold, with temperatures far below average.  We have had snow several times before the end of summer, both here in the city and up our our cottage in Nordegg.  
The past couple of weekends I went out to Nordegg by myself.  It snowed out there, but I'm told there was just as much back in the city.  I worked on a bunch of small projects around the cottage.
I have all the rough in ready for the electric furnace that we will be getting installed.  Our friends Court and Sandra gave us an antique Singer sewing machine and I took that out and set it up.  I also worked on installation of some aluminum posts that will be the supports for our railings.  
This past week here at the shop I've been working on some walnut sleeves that will slip over theses posts to finish them.  Then panels of clear tempered laminate glass will be clamped in between the posts.
I also cut some pine longs that I will peel and use for handrails on our stairs.  I took out a couple more chairs and some dishes.  I cut in a cold air return to the basement, and installed some bathroom accessories.
My weekends just consisted of all sorts of small jobs like these and it was very peaceful and quiet.
I put some oats out behind the cottage to keep the deer coming around.  I am not a hunter and have no intention of doing anything other than watching and enjoying these guys.  There is no hunting allowed in our subdivision so these guys feel pretty safe coming around.  The Whiskeyjacks were also around off and on.  At one point a Pine Marten cut through the yard.  I saw wild horses almost every time a drove to and from the cottage.
This weekend I stayed home.  I played hockey on Saturday morning and the Renegades lost a close one to Pentastar... by a score of 6-5.  Then on Saturday afternoon I went to the football game and brought my friend Court along.  It was bitterly cold with a light breeze out of the north.  The Eskimos played one of the worst games I've ever seen and got thumped by Winnipeg 30-3.  We bailed out and left after there third quarter, heading over to a local pub to warm up.
Sure hope the weather turns around and we get a little of that "First Nations Summer".  The forecast for the next week or more is for continued cold and some snow out in the mountains.  Maybe after that we'll get a mild, dry fall...??  As much as I enjoy winter, I'm not quite ready for its arrival at this early point in the season.  
I've attached a few photographs from the past couple of weekends out at Nordegg.  









No comments: