Tuesday, October 23, 2012

More Negatives

The second batch of 4x5 negatives is now dry, so I set about scanning some of the better ones.  These were all shot on Kodak T-Max 400 film with my 4x5 cameras.  Some of these date back to 2010.  On our Fall Photo Weekend in 2010 we stopped at an old barn near Drumheller.  The barn and the fence were covered with vines.  The walls of the barn were finished with cedar shingles.  Some of these shingles were starting to fall off, exposing the newpaper that was used as building paper.  This newspaper advertisement is from 1963, the year I was born, and advertises Chevrolet automobiles...



These fallen cottonwood leaves on a small pond were taken in a grove down along the Red Deer River on that same weekend trip.


I really like this image and it was an attempt by me to depart from my normal style.  This is very vague and abstract and invokes a feeling of the stark contrast between the bare branches of a dead tree and a field of wildflowers.  I really feel that I need to branch out in this new direction as this type of work is much more meaningful than my literal representations of the subjects before me.


The rest of this selection includes an image of Chungo Creek, taken earlier this fall at Thanksgiving, a cottonwood tree in black and white fall colors at TL Bar Ranch, some burnt trees up near Lodgepole taken on a day trip back in the summer, and a stand of aspen trees in snow from the winter of 2011.





Actually the comments about that vague abstract image and the mood that it invokes is really just a load of crap.  I just wanted to see if I could pass this off as art.  I actually double exposed a sheet of film by accident and decided to scan the resulting negative just for the heck of it.

No comments: