Wednesday, August 4, 2010

August Long Weekend

I just returned from a four day long weekend camping trip.  Actually, camping is not quite accurate... RV'ing is more like it.  We really enjoy our 5th Wheel Trailer and the luxury of a solid roof, heater, running water, refrigerator, shower, and air conditioning when we need it.  There is lots of room for me, my wife, three daughters, two dogs and lots of camera gear.
We spent the long weekend along the Forestry Trunk Road in the front ranges of the Rocky Mountains.  Most of the unofficial camping spots were filled with outdoor enthusiasts.  We chose to stay in the designated campsites that were virtually empty.  It seems that most people do not prefer the campsites as there is a nightly $23 camping fee, and you are not allowed to ride ATV's in and around the campsites.  We prefer the peace and quiet of some distance between ourselves and all the ATV riders.  I fail to see the appeal of parking beside a busy, dusty road and hearing the roar of quads all day long.
There was a significant hatch of "Police Car Moths" and they were fluttering everywhere.  My daughters had a blast catching them as well as all the other butterflies and moths that were about.  There were still quite a few wildflowers blooming including Arnica, Avens, Gallardia, Lupine, and Yarrow... among others.
The gravel bars of the Clearwater River, the Ram River, and Elk Creek are littered with marine fossils.  I'm not sure the age of this formation but I'm sure it's pretty old.  Some interesting stuff to be found for sure!!
We spent our weekend enjoying the outdoors, admiring the wildflowers, catching butterflies and moths, collecting rocks, doing a little fishing, and taking some photographs.
I managed to wander about with my 4x5 view camera a couple of times.  When we returned home to Edmonton on Monday night I processed some of the film that I exposed.  So far only a few sheets of Polaroid Type 55.  The resulting negatives are now washed and dried and I have scanned a couple of my favorites.

No comments: