Saturday, December 21, 2019

Carpentry Projects

I've made the decision to retire and quit working so much.  The sale of my shares in my skylight company is imminent.  I will be working through 2020 to transition the company into new ownership.  After that I may be involved on a minor basis as a consultant, but I think I'd prefer to make a clean break and step away at that point.... still a little undecided though.....
In the mean time I need to take steps to get all of my stuff out of the shop.  The company has occupied our current premises since 1978.  I was the first worker in the building.  My Dad sent me there as a sixteen year old kid to paint some racks and get ready for the move of the company materials and equipment into the space in that summer.  Here I am, over 40 years later, still working in the same place... but not for too much longer.....
One of the things I need to deal with is all of the little carpentry projects that I've had on the go for the cottage in Nordegg.  I now have the kitchen cabinets done and just need to haul the last section out.  This past little while I've been working on the bunk bed for the girls room.  The frames that will hold the mattresses are now done and have received the typical three coats of laquer.  I'm now working on the end frames that will support the mattresses.  These are fabricated from the spruce logs that I cut and peeled earlier this summer.  This is my first attempt at rustic furniture construction and so far it has gone pretty well.  I've cut tenons in all the support branches and drilled holes in the upright posts to accept them.  The frames are now all assembled.  Just need to finish sanding everything and then complete the requisite lacquer finish.  In between I will need to cut some dadoes into the uprights, into which the mattress support frames will be fitted.  A couple of braces left to be fabricated as well.  Should be able to wrap up most of this over the coming week or two.  Then I can move on to some of my remaining projects as I transition out of ownership......




No comments: