Thursday, June 20, 2019

Fathers Day in Nordegg

The clock is ticking and I have a deadline of late June to get the cottage substantially completed, so that I can have the final inspection done.  This is under the building permit that I purchased two years ago.  We can pay to extend the permit if we want to, but as we are so close, I've decided to put a push on and wrap things up.  I've requested the final inspection and am just waiting for the permit company to schedule the date.  In the mean time I'm trying to get the last couple of things wrapped up.  All that I have left to do, from the point of view of the permit, is to build a landing and steps at each of the two entrances, and install a hand rail on the upper stairs.
I got a good start on the first landing last weekend, and for the Fathers Day weekend I brought out more material and continued.  Hailey had to work and Margarit had to drive her...  this is beginning to sound like a broken record.  This past week I signed up Hailey for driving lessons with the Alberta Motor Association.  Classroom sessions start in early August, followed by 20 hours of on the road training.  Once that wraps up she will be able to take her road test and hopefully get her license.  She has to wait until October... a year after getting her Learners license.  The great procrastinator didn't bother to get her Learners when she turned 14 and only finally got it when she started her job.  The rules require a one year waiting period between the Learners permit and a class 5 license.  Once she can drive for herself, Margarit will finally be able to stop playing chauffeur.
I got up early on Saturday morning, after the football game, and hit the road.  I was out at the cottage by about 11:00AM.  The other two girls didn't want to come so I ended up spending Fathers Day working by myself.  It was very quiet out there and none of the nearby neighbors were around.  It rained off and on through the day, but the landing that I was working on was fairly sheltered and it didn't really slow me down.  Later in the early evening the clouds opened up and we got a bit of a downpour.  My weather station recorded over 8mm of rain for the day, and over 50mm so far in June, so needless to say it is rather muddy and wet out there.  Later in the evening the sky broke open and the sun began to shine so I went out for a walk.  It was beautiful, but very shortlived.  I only got about a quarter mile down the drive when the clouds rolled in and the rain opened up again.  I made a quick retreat back to the cottage and settled in for the night. 
Sunday was warmer and mostly sunny, with no rain.  I managed to get the trim flashing and stone veneer on most of the north side of the cottage.  I also built most of the landing and railing at the second door.  I just need to install the decking and steps to this one, and I will be done.  I'm not sure exactly what is required in the way of closing in the railings, and in terms of a handrail on the steps.  I will wait for final inspection and see what options the inspector offers me.  I would like to keep it as simple and open as possible.  I understand that as long as I have the work in progress and the materials on site, that the final inspection can be signed off.





No comments: