Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Processing Fuji Neopan Acros

Over the past little while I have begun to process the nearly 100 sheets of exposed Fuji Neopan Acros 100 film, in 4" x 5" format that I have accumulated in the past year or so.  It will take several more batches for me to complete processing of all the exposed film that I have on hand. It would be redundant for me to say that this film is one of my favorites... as they all seem to be.  This is a really nice film that holds mid tone values very well.  I try to use it in lighting situations to which it is best suited.  Although I never take photographs with any consideration to material costs, this film is one of the most costly large format films currently on the market.  In recent months the cost has escalated to nearly $60 USD for 20 sheets of 4" x 5" film.  Most other films that are currently available cost between $1.25 to $2.00 per sheet.  But the smooth glowing midtones that this film yields under the right lighting conditions make it well worth the cost of keeping some on hand for when the situation dictates.  I have done extensive testing with this film and feel that the best result are acheived when it is developed in Rodinal.  Rodinal is a decades old formula developed by Agfa.  Agfa Photo is no longer in business but fortunately several other suppliers have picked up the old formula and continue to produce and market it.  This includes Adonal by Adox out of Europe, as well as Blazinal by Blazes Photo out of Eastern Canada.
This batch includes images mostly from this year and 2013.  These are all from various daytrips and weekend camping trips around Alberta.


















No comments: