Thursday, June 29, 2023

Old Neon

For the past several years I have been accumulating an archive of photographs of old neon signs.  When we were on our way home from Lethbridge, and visiting Fort McLeod, I noticed that there were several interesting old signs on some of the buildings on historic main street.  Not only did I photograph the sign on the old American Hotel, but I also shot the Queen's Hotel, Chop Suey Restaurant, Johnny's Restaurant and the Empress Theatre.  With the exception of the Queen's Hotel, all of these buildings are occupied and have undergone some level of restoration.  The signs are generally in pretty good shape too.  I took some snapshots of all of them with my phone, but more importantly I shot them on film with my big view camera as well.
I think that my archive now includes images of about fifteen old signs.  Maybe some day I'll put together a portfolio of some kind, or do an exhibition.  I still need to find some additional signs to add to the collection, and this stop was a good start in that direction.






No comments: