Monday, June 12, 2023

Last of the Cabinets

June 7th was kind of a lazy day for me....  After arriving in Nordegg in the mid-afternoon all I did was a dump run, and played a round of golf.  I did manage to plant the pine seedlings in the evening before calling it a day.
On Thursday June 8th I was up early and prepared for a full day of work.  With no one around, I decided to spray the weeds that have begun growing through the driveway.  I didn't want to do this previously when Hank was around, but this was the perfect opportunity.  Later I made chicken wire cages to go around the pine seedlings that I planted.  Deer will not eat spruce trees, but we have learned that they love tender young pines.  After I caged the 13 seedlings that I planted, I watered them all in for a second time.
The rest of the day was spent working on the pantry in the guest cottage.  This is the last of the cabinets that I need to fabricate.  This is a tall, narrow cabinet that will go in the corner beside the fridge.  The back corner of this pantry will be boxed out to conceal a plumbing vent that runs up to the ceiling.  The pantry is about 16 inches wide, 24 inches deep, and extends up to about doorway height... 80".  I got most of the parts rough cut to size last time I was was out.  This time around I cut the last two pieces from a fresh sheet of 3/4" birch plywood.  Then I set up and cut all the dado's and rabbets into the various pieces.  Once that was complete I gave all the larger upright panels a coat of primer on both sides.
Following that I proceeded with gluing plastic laminate to the nine shelves that will go into the pantry.  Even though I managed to salvage the piece of laminate from the kitchen sink cut-out, I didn't have quite enough material left to apply the "Charcoal Boomerang" pattern to all nine shelves, only seven.  But I did have a little plain grey laminate left over.  These two shelves will be used at the top, where they are not overly visible.  I had been using the grey material on all the interior shelves of the kitchen cabinets, and the vanity and had just enough remaining to finish to the pantry.  I got all the laminate glued on and flush trimmed.  I am now ready to test fit everything, and then proceed with painting of all the exposed surfaces.
Once this last cabinet is done, and now that the counter tops are all complete, I will be finished with the woodwork.  Then I will be able to clean up all the sawdust and get prepared for installation of the flooring.
It seems that all these little tasks are so inter-related.  It is really a challenge to plan and work on things as so many jobs are dependent upon something else being done first.  I hope to be able to get the kitchen and bathroom sinks connected to water supply and drain lines while I am out on this trip.  One more step that gets me that little bit closer to completion.







No comments: