Saturday, December 12, 2020

Notre Dame de Savoie

I was digging through some old negatives and came across this one.  I took this one about 20 years ago.  I can't recall if it was 2001 or 2002.  I have notes in my archive that would allow me to look up all the details, including date, time, camera, lens, film type, exposure, development, etc.  None of that is important for the purpose of this post.  At the time I took this I thought it was an old schoolhouse.  I have since learned that it is actually an old church.  It is located down in Paintearth County, right beside an active open pit coal mine.  Like the Sheerness School that I posted a photograph of a short time ago, it remains to be seen if the building survives longer than the mine.  All coal fired power generation in Alberta is about to be shut down and switched over to natural gas.  My friends Chris and Connie posted some more recent photographs of this building onto their "Off the Beaten Path" website.  I have included a link to their article.  It goes into a lot more detail about this history of this old building.




No comments: