Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Aspen Grove

There is a beautiful grove of old growth aspen trees on the slopes of the North Saskatchewan valley not far from the old Saunders townsite.  We saw it when we hiked in to the steel span bridge with Chris and Connie earlier in the summer.  I drove out here one evening earlier in the fall and tried to photograph the trunks at that time.  It is a rather steep slope, with an open understory, and some very large aspen trees.  
On my way back to the cottage after exploring the Saunders Cemetery I stopped here again to photograph with my view camera.  It had been rather dull and overcast all day, but occasionally the sun briefly poked out from the clouds and taunted me.  I think morning light would probably be best here but the early afternoon light on this day, was better than my previous attempt in evening light.  The understory was in fall color, and the glorious leaves of some of the aspens lower down on the slope were visible in my compositions.
I took a number of photographs here with my view camera and will share the results of my efforts in a future post, once I have processed and scanned the film.





No comments: