Monday, December 10, 2018

December Weekend

This past weekend was yet another busy one... like so many of the others...  Margarit and I headed out to Cafe Blackbird on Friday evening for the Monochrome Guild opening.  There were about a dozen prints on display in the cafe by the Monochrome Guild.  The official opening was being held in conjunction with a show by the Jerrold Dubyk Trio.  This jazz group was pretty good... at jazz... but not so good at math.  Their trio included four musicians...  saxophone, upright bass, drums and keyboards.  Not quite sure what that was about but artists are typically not practical, so it seems that math is an issue for these guys.
A number of our members were out at the show including Gabor, Glenn, Steve and his wife Mary, Margarit and I, Meghan and her significant other, as well as some of her friends.  I think Gord was also there, sitting in another part of the cafe.  The event was reasonably well attended and pretty full, at least for the first couple of sets.
On Saturday morning Margarit and I headed out to Nordegg.  We left our three girls home alone for one night with a well stocked selection of junk food, and some money to call in "Skip the Dishes" for some dinner delivery.  Needless to say the house was a mess when we got back home on Sunday evening.  But at least Margarit and I had a break to relax and we enjoyed our time out at the cottage together.  This was the first time that Margarit has been back there since Thanksgiving.
It was a pretty low key weekend and I didn't have all that much stuff to work on.  As is the norm for this time of year, it was very quite out in the subdivision.  Our neighbors two doors over are usually out there, as they were this time.  Aside from them it seemed that no one else on Tamarack Trail was around.  Some clown from some other part of the subdivision, or perhaps from town, came and cut down a tree for firewood.  He promptly dropped on the address sign of the property across the road from ours.  This land is still for sale so I suppose this will be an issue for the buyer of this lot, or perhaps the county.
The furnace continues to work fine and the temperature in the cottage has been maintained well above freezing.  I brought out some new address signs which I installed on a post on our gate.  I also brought out the free standing pantry that I built.  I actually started constructing this several months ago and just recently finished it.  It proved a little too heavy for the two of us to lift off the truck so we solicited the assistance of our neighbor Rob.  We got it into place and promptly filled it up with all of our dishes and dry goods.



On Saturday afternoon I put out some oats in my feeder.  We didn't see much game around but by Sunday morning the feeder was empty.  I filled it up again before we left on Sunday afternoon.  Pine Martins are known to poop on a rock to mark their territory.  It seems our local pine martin decided that my blue cobalt salt block was a great substitute for a rock, and promptly left his territorial deposit.  I checked but unfortunately my game camera was unable to capture him in the act.....


When we got back home to the city on Sunday, there was a little time to unpack our gear and settle down for a bit.  But the Renegades had a late hockey game that night and it wasn't long before I had to hit the road yet again.  The game was way up north of the city at Edmonton Garrison.  I got to the game about 30 minutes in advance of our 10:30 ice time.  We had a short bench with only six forwards and three defence.  As one of the three defencemen that meant I was on the ice for two-thirds of the game.  A little much for an old guy like me and today I am paying the price.  We soundly outplayed the Knights and coasted to an 8-4 victory.  At about the half way point of the season this sees us firmly in first place with a record of 11-4.

No comments: