Sunday, January 17, 2016

Girl Herding...

This is a lot less glamorous than it sounds..... but for the next two weeks I am living with three girls...!  In my younger days this would have been amazing, but now in my old age it is a challenge.  I am home alone with my three young daughters for the next two weeks.
It has been seasonably cold here in Edmonton the last few days, after a very mild fall and early winter.  On Saturday I spent the day working on putting prints together for a couple of my upcoming photo shows.   In the evening I watched the "batttle of Alberta" on television.  This was another instalment of the hockey match up between my Edmonton Oilers, and the hated Calgary Flames.  For a change the Oilers came out on top, though it took a shootout to settle things.  While I was watching the game the girls cleaned up some of the clutter they had created in the living room.  All the while Margarit was nervously pacing... about to set off on her trip.
After the hockey game I settled down for a nap, setting my alarm to wake me up at 2:30AM.  I needed to drive Margarit to the airport to catch a 6:00AM flight to San Jose.  She was heading down to California to visit her older sister.  Seems like this is payback for the couple of times that I left her home with the girls and headed off down to Utah with my cameras....
We said our goodbyes in the wee hours and I dropped her off at the departures door.  I headed back home and tried to get to sleep.  It took me a couple of hours before I was finally able to drift off.  I was sharing my bed with a restless seven-year-old that seemed determined to not allow me to relax.  I finally fell asleep at some point after six, and didn't wake up until nearly noon.
In the afternoon, after I finally got the three girls mobile, I headed down to the basement and worked on putting together some more prints.  I now have all the prints assembled and ready to go for next weekend.  This includes a selection of 26 framed prints that need to be delivered down to the Leighton Art Center in Calgary next Saturday.  The three girls and I will make a trip down there on Saturday for the delivery, and stop in briefly to visit my brother and his family.  In advance of that I also need to drop off two prints for the In Focus show here in Edmonton.  Everything is ready on my part and it is just a matter of making time for the deliveries.  I have most of the stuff ready for my next show, coming up in March but still have about five more prints to put into frames.  I will focus on this over the next few days, so that nothing is left to the last minute.
In the late afternoon the girls and I headed over to the grocery store to pick up a few supplies and snacks.  We made a supper of tacos, mexican rice and refried beans.  We also have some stuff ready for lunches over the next few days... in addition to the groceries that Margarit left behind for us.  The girls wanted to have fresh bread for lunches so we dug out the bread maker and got a batch going this evening.  
Margarit phoned in the afternoon and confirmed that she had arrived safe and sound at her sister's place.  She talked of green grass and blooming flowers, while back here it is a seasonable -25C, though it did "warm" up to -18C this afternoon.
It will be a busy couple of weeks as I try to get the girls to school on time, make sure they have lunches, cook evening meals, and get them shuffled around to their dance classes and riding lessons.  In between I have a few things of my own that I need to look after.  I will be working through the week, though I will be in a little late every day, and leaving a little early, every day  With the recent downturn in the world economy it has been REALLY slow at work, so it is doubtful I will miss anything.  In fact if things don't turn around at least a little in the coming weeks, I may have to consider some reduced hours, reduced wages, or layoffs.....

No comments: