Monday, January 18, 2016

Fuji Neopan Acros 100

Nearly a month ago, on Christmas Day, I processed a batch of Fuji Neopan Acros 100 sheet film in Rodinal developer.  Mostly this batch included images from my recent trip down to Utah.
In recent weeks my time has been consumed trying to get everything ready for some of my upcoming gallery exhibitions.  I did manage to scan a few sheets taken at the White Pocket, down in the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument.  These were all taken on October 20th, Day Five of the trip down to southern Utah.  Detailed information about the trip my be found in a blog posting of mine that dates back to early November.  There are other sheet film negatives in this batch that I have not yet found time to scan, edit and post.  Look for further blog postings in the coming days and weeks.
This batch of 4" x 5" sheet film was processed in Rodinal developer, diluted 1:50, for 11:00 minutes.  I consider this the equivalent of approx. 1/2 zone expansion.  I have had some issues with this developer in recent months.  I'm not sure if it is related to the chemistry getting old, or the film itself being outdated.  I have noticed pin holes and blotchiness in some of my negatives.  The developer that I have been using is actually Blazinal... a knock off on the Rodinal formula.  Since the bankrupcy of Agfa, the true Rodinal formula is no longer available.  The closest replacement is made by Adox, but it is not readily available in Canada.  I have been using Blazinal, but am wondering about the quality of this formulation, particularly as it ages.  I was recently able to obtain some of the Adox version of this formula and will be working with that in future, and hope that these issues disappear.  
For now, here are some scans of a selection of images taken on October 20th at the White Pocket.  This was my third visit to this spectacular location and the first time I have been witness to the presence of freshwater pools resulting from recent abundant rains.  I will try and work with these negatives to create some respectable prints, particularly in consideration of the fact that these conditions are somewhat rare...








No comments: