Monday, June 4, 2012

Spring Blossoms

We have an ornamental apple tree in our front yard that I think is some sort of crab apple.  It produces significant quantities of small, woody apples, that really don't fall off of the tree until late in the fall or even early the follow spring.  They sure make a racket the first couple of times the grass gets cut and the lawnmower sucks them all up.  Fortunately they are not soft or mushy and don't make too much mess.  A couple years ago a big wind storm took down almost half the tree down, and left the main truck badly damaged and broken open on one side.  I think this problem was made somewhat worse by the fact that some carpenter ants had invaded the tree as well.  But, it has such beautiful blossoms every spring and I just couldn't bring myself to cut it down.  Well that, and I'm kind of lazy to boot.  I know the tree is not long for this world, but we just want to enjoy the spring display a few more times.




No comments: