Monday, July 22, 2019

Middle Daughter Weekend

My middle daughter Annelise came out to Nordegg with me for the weekend.  My oldest daughter Hailey had to work, and Margarit had to play chauffeur, so they stayed home in the city, along with youngest daughter Helena.  Anna and I headed out on Friday evening after work.  It rained most of the way there so we just unpacked, got the wood stove going, and settled down for the evening.  Our friend Eric was out at his place with his two sons, and the girlfriend of one of the boys.  They had been playing pool down at the bar in the hotel but stopped by for a visit that evening.  We ended up staying up until about 1:30 before we all called it a night.
Anna and I went out for an ATV ride on Saturday after a late morning.  We both ended up sleeping in until about 11:00AM, and then had a late breakfast of eggs and hash browns.  We rode around the subdivision, checking out how muddy things were from all the rain.  We saw a deer with a couple of spotted fawns, but they were too quick and we didn't get any photos.  According to the weather station in my yard we had around six inches of rain in June, and then about 2-1/2 more so far in July.  We stayed mostly to the roads as we didn't want a repeat of the incident down on the trail like last time.  We stopped over at one of the houses in the far end of the subdivision.  I recently learned that this home on Raven Rise is owned by an old acquaintance of mine.  Pawel used to belong to Images Alberta Camera Club.  I was in charge of competitions at the time, and he looked after the equipment.  Both of us left the club some time ago, and we hadn't seen each other for about 20 years.  Pawel has since retired and sold his home in Edmonton.  He now splits his time between his place here at Nordegg, and one in Vancouver.  We had a nice visit and Anna and I got a tour of his hewn log home that he built back in 2004.
Later that evening we got dinner going.  Had some baked potatoes, I had steak and Anna had some veggie hot dogs.  My cousin Vic and his wife Susanne dropped by as we were sitting around the fire.  They were out camping nearby and dropped by for a visit.  Leonard, the guy that did all my plumbing and mechanical work in the cottage was out as well, with his wife Leanne and two grandaughters.  We all sat around the fire for while and visited until it got dark. At that point they had to head back to their RV's and we called it a night.
Anna must have stayed up really late that evening because at 1:30 in the morning my phone received a notification that my data plan was nearly used up.  I managed to get Anna up for breakfast at about 9:30, and we did go out for a morning ATV ride, but after that she went back to bed and fell asleep until about 2:00.  She never did admit to me exactly how late it was when she actually went to sleep on Saturday.  
Later in the day I managed to get Anna somewhat upright, and we went out for another ATV ride.  We saw a red fox on that ride, and managed to get a couple of snapshots of it on our phones.  We stopped up on the big rock pile at the edge of the subdivision and got some good views of the surrounding area.  Although it rained a lot on Friday, Saturday was mostly just overcast with only a couple of millimeters of rain.  Sunday dawned clear and sunny and it stayed that way for the entire day, with the temperature peaking at about 24.  Finally some summer weather...!
I didn't really do any work to speak of all weekend and mostly just spent my time with Anna and visiting a bit with friends and neighbors.  While she napped on Sunday afternoon I did finish splitting the pile of firewood that I cut up a couple weeks ago, but that was the extent of my work.
On Sunday evening we tidied up and packed up and hit the road for home.  When we got home we realized that we had left behind a cooler full of food.  Anna and I had emptied the fridge together and put all the stuff in the cooler for the ride home.  We each assumed that the other had taken it out to the truck but when we got back home we realized that neither of us had.  Fortunately it only had a few things in it, and if we head back out next weekend, hopefully it isn't too rotten and doesn't stink too bad.  There was about 1/4 of a liter of milk left, a tub of sour cream chip dip, some bananas, part of a red pepper, and a few mushrooms...... Yuck...!





No comments: