Friday, February 10, 2017

InFocus Exhibit - Edmonton

Last night I attended the opening reception for the 2017 version of the InFocus exhibit.  This is the third year of this show, curated by Alexis Marie Chute, and I have been involved in all three so far.  Although this year it almost didn't happen....
Several months ago I received notification that two of my prints had been accepted for exhibition.  I immediately responded to Alexis by e-mail, thanking her for the acceptance and letting her know that I was thrilled to be taking part again.  I set to work making my exhibition prints and getting them mounted and framed.  Several months went by, and the delivery date was fast approaching.  All through this period of time I had received no further correspondence about the show.  I an an e-mail, looking for some further details about the delivery dates and the opening.  Some time later I still had not received any response.  I dug into my archives and found an old e-mail address for Alexis, and a cell number.  I reached out to find out what was going one.
Apparently there is some sort of conflict between my e-mail address and theirs.  They did not receive any of my messages, and I did not receive any of the information that had been sent to me.  They thought that I had dropped out of the show, but for some reason never bothered to reach out with a phone call or any other attempt to contact other than e-mail.
So, I missed out being included on the invitation, in the catalogue, and in the on line voting for the Peoples Choice award.  I was still allowed to take part in the show and dropped off my prints at the gallery in plenty of time.
This time around the show is located at the Front Gallery, on the 124 Street Gallery Row in Edmonton.  Here is a link to the website...

http://www.infocusphoto.ca/

When I arrived at the reception I was greeted and welcomed with apologies for all the confusion.  Perhaps to make amends, my two prints were featured front and centered on the main wall at the gallery, along with the graphics for the show.  They looked pretty good if I do say so myself. 
The reception was well attended and it was a pleasant evening meeting and re-acquainting with some many other photographers.  The show will remain up for a while and I encourage anyone interested in photography to go out and see it.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that traditional film based photography is experiencing a bit of a resurgence and there were several artists included that were not digital artists.


No comments: