Monday, March 23, 2015

Milestone... Updates... Spring Weather

Pageviews of my blog hit the 25,000 milestone last week.  Seems to be a steady interest level in my ramblings and my photography.  Thanks to everyone that continues to visit...
I haven't been able to post much in the way of photographs over the last little while.  I haven't had a chance to get out and do much shooting this spring.  Seems like every time that I had the opportunity to get out, the weather wasn't great.  We've had some blustery days, and some flat overcast light.  It seems like every time we had a nice sunny day, it was a work day and I was stuck in the office, or it was a game day and I had to play hockey.....
I also haven't had a chance to get into the darkroom in recent weeks either.  We have our basement half torn apart right now as we needed to make space to get to some of the cleanouts on our sewer lines.  The lines were augered and inspected and everything is OK for now, but I haven't had time to get re-organized and put everything back.  A bunch of stuff got temporarily dumped into my darkroom and now I need to clear some space and get back to film processing and printing.  I hope to be able to post some new work to my blog in the next couple of weeks.
I have received a couple of additional responses to some of the submission packages that I sent out for my Procession West photography exhibition.  We were rejected by a gallery in the lower mainland of British Columbia.  It seems they get a lot of proposals from local photographers and have a mandate to give them preference over outsiders.  A second gallery in the interior has added our proposal to their list for jury review later in the year.  I believe that I now have 32 submission packages out, and still have about 10 more left  to send.  So far we have heard back from six of them.  One tentative acceptance, three being considered in jury review and two rejections.  Not bad so far...
I also just finished up an exhibition proposal for the Monochrome Guild.  This is a selection of images taken in Jasper National Park, entitled Alpine Solace.  We will be submitting this to several galleries in central Alberta.
I've hired a new part time office assistant to work with me at Mac Skylights.  This will allow me to slow down a little, and starting in late April, after the training period has been completed, I will begin taking every other Friday off from work.  I will still be on call, and may need to pop in from time to time, but I am looking forward to having a little more personal time and back off a little on my work load.  This is now my 34th year on the job and I think I have earned this personal time.
This past weekend was a continuation of the poor weather that we have experienced in recent weeks as we got dumped on with nearly a foot of snow!  That March lamb and lion thing doesn't look as though it will happen this year.  March came in like a lion, and if this current weather holds for a few days it may go out that way too.

No comments: