Thursday, June 5, 2014

Late May

On May 25th we headed out to Wetaskiwin for the day.  We visited with my cousin Vic and his family, at the cabin that they recently built on their farm.  It is beside a dugout, near Maskwa Creek.  The girls had a blast paddling around the dugout in a rowboat, with their cousin Ceyanna.  My cousin, Vic's brother, Donald also stopped by with his family.  We headed over to the nearby Hillside Community Hall, which will be the location of the upcoming Pohl Family Reunion that we are organizing.  We needed to size things up and make sure that there would be space for everything that we had planned.  This also provided a good opportunity to get a handle on some of the things that we would need to do, and supplies that we would need to get together, for the reunion.  Since that time we have been starting to put things together... insurance, raffle tickets, name tags, etc.   In recent days I've started canvassing all my cousins and their families to see if we can nail down a more accurate head count.  So far I have 51 confirmed to come, 3 maybes, and 3 that can not make it.  There are still a lot of people yet to reply so I expect that our final number should be over 100.


The next day I booked most of the day off work and we had a memorial service for my Dad.  It would have been his 85th birthday on Saturday.  This was just a small family service attended by my Mom, my two brothers, Margarit and the girls, and me.  We buried Dad's ashes at the cemetary over by Ellerslie Road.  It was a cool and cloudy day, sort of fitting of the somber occasion.  We spent the afternoon together as a family and reflected on all our memories of Dad.

No comments: