Sunday, May 26, 2013

May Long Weekend

I booked an extra day off work so that the long weekend would become four days, instead of just three.  We had hoped to leave Thursday after work, but we just weren't ready.  I was feeling a little overwhelmed by trying to get everything ready, and getting all of our camping gear moved over into the new trailer.  I was tempted to just call it off and cancel the weekend...  But, then I remembered last year when we cancelled and didn't head out for the long weekend, and I regretted it for weeks afterward.  So on Thursday night and Friday morning I forced myself to keep going... plodding along... and finally we were ready to go.  
We managed to roll out of town about 10:00AM on Friday and like usual, ended up forgetting a few things... the walkie-talkies, my hiking boots, etc.  But, we made the best of it.  We didn't have the time to head all the way to Red Rock Coulee on the first day of our trip, so we made our way to Dorothy, in the Red Deer Valley, downstream from Drumheller.  This has become one of our usual camping spots.  The ghost town and the old churches used to be a lot more photogenic... when everything was abandoned and falling apart.  And many of the images in my "Playground Ghosts" series were made in the old playground.  Now the two old churches have been restored, and work is continuing on the Community Hall.  It is still a fun place to visit, but not as good as it used to be.  We rolled into the park in the early afternoon and set up camp for the evening.  This would be the first night in our new trailer, and it was kind of fitting that we would spend it here.  I proposed to Margarit in the old United Church back in 2000, and we used a photograph of it on our wedding invitations...






No comments: