Friday, June 22, 2012

Summer Hockey - Game Twelve

We played a tough one tonight against the first place Raccoons.  These guys really don't belong in this division.  Most of their players are very young, and very fast.  They beat their opponents handily almost every time out.  Tonight was no exception.  It didn't help any that my team doesn't show much commitment.  I had a couple players that never let me know whether or not they would make it out to play, and then in the hour or two just before the game, five players bailed out.  I think this was the shortest bench that we ever played with.  We had four forwards, three defense and a goalie.  It sure was a lot of ice time for old guys like me as I was out there for two thirds of the game.  I think I must have been nearly triple the age of some of the kids on the other team.  We put up a good fight, and were only down by a score of 6-4 at the end of the second period.  Not only were they young and fast, but there was a lot more of them.  They had nearly a full roster with 12 or 13 players.  By the third period we just plain ran out of gas and they shovelled in six unanswered goals, outshooting us 43-20 and coasting to an easy 12-4 victory.

No comments: