Friday, March 23, 2012

More Polaroids

During this past week I found some time one evening to process the Polaroid sheets that I shot on St. Patricks Day.  That's not quite true... the shot of the Cooling Towers was actually taken on a day trip a week prior.  These were shot on Polaroid 55 Black and White 4x5 film, which yields both a positive proof print, as well as a negative.  The proof print holds little value for me as it is the negative that I want.  So I attempted optimum exposures for negative quality, and processed the film back home in my darkroom, rather than out in the field.  This film has been discontinued, and I am down to my last 25 sheets or so.  I will ration my remaining stock and save if for subject matter that it is well suited to.  The resulting negatives have a tonal range that is quite different from that of most other black and white films.  It has a very short scale and the result has a look and feel very similar to that of transparency film.  I quite like it and wish that it was still available.....




No comments: