Friday, October 13, 2023

Had To Go...!

Sometime back in August, the wind broke a large limb off of a spruce tree in on my Mom's acreage.  I got a couple of tree removal companies to quote on taking it down.  One company quoted $1,250, and the other, who I eventually hired, quoted $950.  I was finally able to book them in on Tuesday October 11th.  I wanted to be there while they were doing the work as Mom is not really comfortable with having strangers at her place.  Plus, I needed to pay them when they were done.
Gerry's Cheapest Tree Removal showed up with a bucket truck, a big mulcher, a stump grinder and a crew of about seven guys.  Within about an hour they had the tree limbed all all the branches and logs 12" in diameter and smaller mulched up, and ready to haul away.  Then they took down the main trunk and bucked it up into slabs.  A quick clean up and they were done and on to the next job.
My brother-in-law Shawn wanted to take all the wood for his fire pit so me met me out there.  After the crew was gone we spent a little time with the chain saw cutting up the slabs.  First we had to cut each slab in half, and then each half had to be cut into three or four chunks.  These chunks are small enough to haul away, but will still need to be further split with an axe before drying and burning.  We returned the next day and finished the job of cutting everything up.  Shawn will haul it all back to his place over the next several days.  When we did the clean up afterwards, it took eight wheelbarrow loads to haul away all the shavings and sawdust from cutting the slabs.
I estimate that the tree was about 50 feet tall, and the trunk right at the base was almost three feet in diameter.  Shawn has more than enough wood for his backyard firepit for the forseeable future and will be giving some of it away to neighbors and friends.  I kept one big slab from near the base and will see if there is something that I can build with it.





No comments: